The Mühlreisighaus ("mill-rice house") is the highest and probably most important central Franconian hop farmhouse. The steep gable roof is broken four times and has drying slits for the hop floors. It was built around 1746.
HopfenBierGut – Museum
im Kornhaus Spalt
Our high-gabled imposing half-timbered houses with up to five floors did not correspond to the architectural fashion of the time, but served to dry the hop cones. Due to the unfolded gable shutters and dormers, the air was able to circulate optimally. To this day, the high-gabled houses characterize our cityscape.
The half-timbering and the interior construction of the corn house (Kornhaus) are impressive. A "even mighty forest" was necessary for the construction, wrote a chronicler. The Kornhaus is a former tithe barn of the prince-bishops of Eichstätt. The half-timbered building dates from the first half of the 15th century, passed into the possession of the city in 1862 and served as a hop warehouse and signing hall from 1897 to 1984. The building was renovated and redesigned. Today it houses the hop and beer museum "HopfenBierGut" and the tourist information.